Monday, January 16, 2012

Hey Hey, My My

People may think I am crazy to do such a thing, but back in November I purchased a second Porsche.  I never gave this one a name because I knew I wouldn't keep him, and I couldn't do anything to get attached to him.  It was just a fun project.  Missy thought I was bat shit crazy, but after explaining my madness she was finally on board.

After searching I found a car through one of the usual sources.  It was a 67 coupe, and the pictures showed some interesting items.

It was an original, unmolested car, except for the engine (they had put a 1.7L type 4 engine from a VW bus in it to replace the Porsche type 616 motor at some point).  The car had some nice luxury options: an original wood steering wheel, early seats with early head rests, and the deal that made it very sweet -a full set of five 4.5x15" fuchs wheels (including a spare!!).  It was missing the original radio, but it did have a 5 speed gear box, original hood crest in excellent shape, and many other original items

The owner said it had rust issues, and needed a front pan.  We drove down to Kentucky to check it out and this was what we found.





















I went to jack the car up to remove one of the wheels to inspect the car (and more importantly to verify the fuchs were really the uber rare and highly $ought after 4.5s, when i hear cracking.  The rockers were completely made of fiber glass.  The floor pans too were fiberglass.  The rear seat buckets underneath were showing fiber glass fibers sticking out like an old abused stuffed animal had lost its stitching..
















It was pretty bad off.  After haggling a bit and pointing out all the rust bits, we came to an agreed price, and it was soon loaded to a trailer for points north.


















Looking at the amount of rust, missing Porsche engine, and the value in parts i had just scored, I knew that this one would have to be sacrificed so that other Porsches could live, and so that Missy and I could get hitched all proper like.  


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment