Thursday, February 2, 2012

Motorsports MacGyver

I had mentioned the other day that I had picked up a really nice original radio for my car.  When I picked up Fritz, he had an AM/FM/Cassette player installed.  Thankfully it was the old school kind with two knobs and the previous owner did not mangle the dash, like so many other cars. I really wasn't in the market for a radio, but it was one of those deals that i couldn't pass up for an original part that i would probably have paid dearly for down the road.  It will go in a box for safe keeping.

What I originally had in mind was a radio delete plate.  These are sought after because cars that were light weight and sports purpose (or that had an owner who didn't order a radio for one reason or another), had these plates to block off the hole where the radio normally sat.  These plates are often times very pricy.  A friend of mine had the same thought many do.  Why are we paying so much for a piece of plastic with the word 'Porsche' written on it.  So instead of buying one, he rolled his own.  It looked so good, and since i really didn't want to pay a few hundred for something so simple, I asked to buy one from him. It just arrived today, and I cannot wait to install it.  Mike did a hell of a job.  It is amazing what many of us come up with as alternatives to rare, or expensive parts.





About 6 years ago I came up with my own through the grill fog lights using Carello's and cutting up an old pair of horn grills.  My friend Kenny and I couldn't find any originals to go by so we cut them in a way we thought looked best. 


One day I will figure out how to make recaro sports seats using nothing but a paper clip, shoe string and a roll of duct tape.  I wonder if they make duct tape in a houndstooth pattern?


1 comment:

  1. Leasing is a long-term rental agreement offering the exclusive use of a car or van for a set period of time at a fixed monthly price. Click here to read more about Porsche Motorsport

    ReplyDelete